The problem is observed on the mysql-5.7

** Changed in: mysql-5.7 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to akonadi in Ubuntu.

  Excessive consumption RAM of mysqld daemon in Kubuntu 16.04

Status in akonadi package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in mysql-5.7 package in Ubuntu:

  [Status]

  Suspected cause is triaged upstream in MySQL; awaiting fix.

  [Workaround]

  Proposed in comment 10; please report success or failure.

  [Original Description]

  In the last days using Kubuntu 16.04 I've noticed that after a while
  of use, RAM consumption of mysqld daemon rises above 800 MB, even
  surpassing Firefox, as you can see in the attached images.

  Initially, when system is just booted, RAM consumption of mysqld daemon it
remains approximately 135-140 MB, but I have seen how after a while, in a
matter of a few minutes, without touching anything, consumption rises
progressively to around 830 MB.
  In the second image you can see that mysqld daemon is related to Akonadi,
which at the same time has a lot of threads running. It is possible that the
problem is in managing Akonadi processes, but it is clear that consumption of
mysqld daemon is not normal, and that there must be a problem, either MySQL or
Akonadi, causing this situation.

  I tried replacing MySQL with MariaDB, but will not let me uninstall
  MySQL components without also uninstall a lot of applications as
  dependencies (like Akonadi, Amarok, Kontact, KAdressBook ...). What I
  can do, even as an interim solution?

  Here are the attached screenshots:
  https://www.sendspace.com/file/712oyk
  https://www.sendspace.com/file/qcqeem