Hi,

you said

You can check in NM, under the connection's IPv4 and IPv6 tabs, behind
the "Routes.." button, if "Use this connection only for the resources on
its network" checkbox is checked. If you want all traffic to go through
the VPN, it *MUST NOT* be checked. If you want to use split tunnelling,
then it can, but you should configure your VPN to pass search domains
along with the nameservers to ensure they are only used on the right
domains.

I use split tunneling but I did not configure VPN to pass search domains
along with the nameservers. Can't this be done automatically? For
example the same vpn configuration works flawlessly in debian jessie.
There I do not have to configure search domains and nameservers...

thanks

  network manager openvpn dns push data not updating system DNS
  addresses

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in openvpn package in Ubuntu:

  When IPv4 Method is set to Automatic VPN, DNS address recieved from
  OpenVPN server do not update resolv.conf.

  This can be achieved when using a standard openvpn config file by
  adding the lines:

  script-security 2
  up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
  down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

  In Network-manager there seems to be no option to run connection
  specific scripts and the DNS data from the server is ignored.

  Ubuntu 13.04
  Network-manager 0.9.8.0-0ubuntu6