I did not reproduce this problem yet.

But according to the comment #48, when problem happens, neither sound
notification nor vibration work. So it does not look like a pulseaudio
problem since the vibration does not work too.

When problem happens, to check if media-hub-server sends playing request
to pulseaudio or not, we can do test as below:

1) Problem happens

2) Use adb shell to connect the phone with computer

3) set environment variable according to
/usr/share/upstart/sessions/pulseaudio.conf
e.g.:
$export PULSE_SCRIPT=/etc/pulse/touch.pa
$export PULSE_CLIENTCONFIG=/etc/pulse/touch-client.conf
$export PULSE_PROP='media.role=multimedia'
$export PULSE_PLAYBACK_CORK_STALLED=1

4) $pulseaudio --kill && pulseaudio --start -vvvv --log-
target=file:/tmp/a.txt

5) check /tmp/a.txt, make sure the pulseaudio starts successfully

6) $cp /tmp/a.txt /tmp/before-sms.txt

7) send a text message to your phone, trigger a sms event

8) $cp /tmp/b.txt /tmp/after-sms.txt

9) comparing before-sms.txt and after-sms.txt (or upload them to LP)

If this problem does not happen, the diff should be like the attached file, we
can see the media-hub-server really sent playing request to pulseaudio when
receiving text message.

** Attachment added: "diff-of-without-this-problem.txt"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/media-hub/+bug/1544477/+attachment/4692518/+files/diff-of-without-this-problem.txt

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  No sound notification for new SMS (Ubuntu Touch)

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Confirmed
Status in media-hub package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  I noticed for last 2-3 days there is no sound notification for a new
  SMS, but there's a blinking green LED notification. Also in the
  indicator menu the envelope icon turns green and the new SMS is listed
  as usual. Things are working alright for Telegram, Gmail etc.
  (sound+LED+indicator menu).

  Device: bq Aquaris E5 HD, Ubuntu 15.04 (OTA-9)

  UPDATE: Screenshots get silent too.