Hi again.

After talking to Thomas Haller from redhat, it seems that we can make it
work just by enabling "all users may connect to this network" in network
manager GUI.

Now the questions is, why did that change from 15.10 to 16.04? It is not
disabled by default, instead of being enabled like it should!

  Can't use networkmanager from lightdm

Status in NetworkManager:
  Confirmed
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in unity-greeter package in Ubuntu:

  After upgrading to 16.04  desktop (unity) (clean install) from 14.04,
  (so not really upgrading, but you get the point) I noticed that
  lightdm with unity-greeter (all stock, nothing changed) can't connect
  to WiFi with network-manager.

  WiFi works after loggin it, but it should be working before also, if
  not, what's the point in having an icon there :)

  I get the following message: Failed to add/activate connection. - (1)
Insufficient privileges. - see image.
  This worked fine in 14.04.

  I have noticed this problem in both my desktop (Broadcom WiFi) and
  Laptop (Intel WiFi) - So it has nothing to be with the chip.

  Feel free to ask for more info.

  Edit:

  From syslog:

  Apr 23 16:50:46 desktop NetworkManager[979]: nm_settings_connection_delete:
assertion 'NM_IS_SETTINGS_CONNECTION (self)' failed
  Apr 23 16:50:46 desktop NetworkManager[979]: <info>  [1461423046.1662] audit:
op="connection-add-activate" pid=1275 uid=108 result="fail"
reason="Insufficient privileges."
  Apr 23 16:50:46 desktop NetworkManager[979]: (NetworkManager:979):
GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)'
failed