The following commands fix the MATE live CD session:
$ sudo apt install --no-install-recommends fcitx-data fcitx-module-x11
$ fcitx

I.e. Martin if you want, you can add those 2 packages in the seeds, and keep
the --no-install-recommends to avoid installing the whole fcitx stack.
And of course it's possible to completely remove fcitx from the seeds.

Btw I was also able to reproduce it in Lubuntu, after taking care to
have only fcitx-bin installed.

Packages, which is subscribed to im-config in Ubuntu.

  apt install --no-install-recommends fcitx-bin, breaks dead keys

Status in ubuntu-mate:
  New
Status in im-config package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in ubuntu-mate-meta package in Ubuntu:

  Test case: remove everything related to fcitx.
  Then run: apt install --no-install-recommends fcitx-bin
  Then login with some locale that uses dead keys, for example the Greek locale.
  Then type e.g. ";"+"a". It's supposed to show "ά", but instead it shows "´α".

  At that point, fcitx isn't running, yet `im-config -a` reports that it's the
selected input method.
  $ env | egrep '_IM|XMOD'
  CLUTTER_IM_MODULE=xim
  QT_IM_MODULE=xim
  XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx
  QT4_IM_MODULE=xim
  GTK_IM_MODULE=xim

  If fcitx-bin is installed along with all its recommended dependencies, then
fcitx is running normally and the issue described above doesn't occur anymore.
At that point, the environment variables are:
  $ env | egrep '_IM|XMOD'
  CLUTTER_IM_MODULE=xim
  QT_IM_MODULE=fcitx
  XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx
  QT4_IM_MODULE=fcitx
  GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx

  At present I've only tested with the MATE desktop environment.
  It also happens with the MATE live CD, as fcitx-bin is indeed preinstalled
there without its recommended dependencies.