Public bug reported:

Background:

I am running a fully updated 16.04.1 installation of Ubuntu using open
source nVidia drivers.  When I press the power button on my PC to wake
the computer from suspend, the login screen appears and freezes.  The
box around my username becomes somewhat opaque and no text box that
would allow me to enter my password appears.  I have tried this many
times, and it always locks up in the same way.

Steps taken after issue occurs:

I have found, however, that the system is not completely locked up.  I
can use CTL + ALT + F2 to switch to TTY2.  From there I can login and
restart the computer without issue.

I also tried restarting lightdm via sudo service lightdm restart.  When
I tried this and switched back to the GUI, the login screen was loaded,
and I could type my password.  Once the login screen disappeared, one of
my monitors (dual-monitor setup) switched to my user account's
wallpaper, and then the system locked up.  I had to perform a hard
restart.

Workaround:

I have found that using the proprietary 361.42 drivers provides a work
around for this issue.  When using the proprietary drivers, the computer
resumes from suspend without issue.

Package: lightdm 1.18.2-0ubuntu1
ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
Architecture: amd64