Please describe what desktop environment and window manager you use, and
whether compositing is enabled in the window manager settings.

I am asking because the same bug exists on Haswell in Arch Linux with
Marco window manager (in MATE), and is fixable by installing and running
compiz.

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  skylake Modesetting Driver on X failure

Status in xorg-server package in Ubuntu:

  with the change away from the intel driver to modeset I get a lot of
  tearing.

  This video shows the problem.

  https://goo.gl/photos/rXNBQ5KR6ZMnhazB9
  And the video capture is done in 240fps so its possible to see what is
happening more clearly.

  The test video itself is just a short test video with alternating
  red/green pictures in 60Hz.

  What you should see is a somewhat flickering screen but the color
  should be a consistent orange hue.

  there should be no pulsing of colors that is more green then back to
  more red and so on then something is wrong.

  I have attached the video. if you are uncertain how it should look try
  to play it directly on a TV. that is with the TV own player not with a
  computer as that has a lot higher probability of not having any issues
  with vsync and frame updates.