Public bug reported:

The LibreOffice icons are poorly designed and too hard to see in the latest
Ubuntu 16.04 version of LibreOffice (5.1.4.2). The problems are that
* the red colour on the menu is misleading as it suggests that the button is to
control border colour, but it's not.
* the grey background fill inside the icons is quite dark and makes it
difficult to distinguish the subtle difference in border shapes on the
different icon options
* the white colour used to imply the absence of a border doesn't have any
visual correspondence to how borderless cells appear in the main window (they
don't appear white; they appear black and thin)

I suggest reverting to the earlier icons, which were much easier to see,
and I suggest a more general review of the icons being distributed with
LibreOffice, because this issue is likely to cause significantly reduced
usability especially for older users.

** Affects: libreoffice (Ubuntu)

** Tags: chrome icons usability

** Attachment added: "screenshot"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1605987/+attachment/4706312/+files/border-icons-hard-to-see.png

  libreoffice icons too hard to see

Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu: