Nevermind, this ended up being that I needed to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
to /usr/local/lib when launching unity-control-center.  I'm having other
weird problems with this self-compiled version, but I doubt it has
anything to do with this patch.

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  unity-settings-daemon crashes on start with SIGABRT if xrandr provides
  two displays with the same name

Status in unity-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:

  -- Symptoms --

  I am experiencing this bug after a recent upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04,
  with unity-settings-daemon 15.04.1+16.04.20160209.

  unity-settings-daemon always fails to start (leaving me with a quasi-
  functional desktop); when run from a command-line, it simply outputs:

      **
      ERROR:gsd-rr-config.c:661:gsd_rr_config_load_current: assertion failed:
(gsd_rr_config_match (config, config))
      Aborted

  and crashes with SIGABRT. This is 100% reproducible on my system.

  I have investigated the cause of this crash, and I can provide a patch
  that solves this bug. I do not know whether I shall help fixing this
  bug here, or if should I work with the upstream directly, a word of
  advice in this matter would be very appreciated.

  -- Bug analysis and proposed solution --

  The mentioned assertion fails even though it compares the same
  configuration with itself. What gsd_rr_config_match does internally is
  that it takes each output from a configuration one by one, and
  searches - by name - for a matching output in the other config. If the
  search fails, or the found output does not match the one from first
  config, the gsd_rr_config_match check fails.

  Because of that, this check should never fail when comparing a
  configuration to itself, with the exception of one (presumably rare)
  care. It happens that, for my multi-monitor setup, libxrandr reports
  that there are two different outputs that share the same name "DP-1".
  In this case, the gsd_rr_config_match fails, because when searching
  for a matching output named "DP-1", it will return the same output
  both times, and therefore one pair will be not matching (the
  find_output function returns the first output that matches requested
  name).

  Therefore it appears that comparing configurations by checking whether
  outputs with matching names are equivalent may be wrong, because the
  output names are not guaranteed to be unique. I propose to modify both
  configuration comparing procedures (gsd_rr_config_match and
  gsd_rr_config_equal) so that they compare outputs matching them by
  their ids, which will always be unique due to their nature. Since the
  find_output function (which takes an output name as an argument) is
  only used by these two comparing functions, it makes sense to modify
  it so that it takes an output id as an argument instead.

  This is a valid solution, because in this case even if output names
  happen to repeat, the output ids will be used to distinguish between
  them, and gsd_rr_config_match will no longer incorrectly fail. Also,
  the proposed change will never cause a configuration comparing
  function to return true where it would otherwise not, because each two
  outputs with a different name will always have a different id as well.

  I attach to this bug report a patch that implements the proposed
  changes. Applying this patch entirely fixed the described symptoms on
  my machine.