Public bug reported:

One of our mesa changes means we can't sync Wine packages (or wine-
development stuck in proposed) from Debian.  See bug:

We purposely end up creating in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
mesa/ld.so.conf
mesa/libGL.so -> libGL.so.1.2.0
mesa/libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.1.2.0
mesa/libGL.so.1.2.0
libGL.so -> mesa/libGL.so

Debian on the other hand just creates:
libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.1.2.0
libGL.so.1.2.0

I haven't found a clear reason for the divergence.  I do see some
comments about making it work with the alternates system. I'm not sure
if that's current though.  Long term libglvnd should help there in a
better way (IIUC).

For reference Fedora does:
/usr/lib64/libGL.so.1
/usr/lib64/libGL.so.1.2.0

Can we drop these Debian differences from mesa for Yakkety?

** Affects: mesa (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  Do we still need the mesa or mesa-egl directories in /usr/lib/<arch>?

Status in mesa package in Ubuntu: