I do not think this is a duplicate of bug #1548933. That bug is in
reference to the Software Centre not showing any software except the
software already installed. This one is in reference to the Software
Centre not showing all software that can be installed, even though it
does show *some* software.

For example on my system, the new Ubuntu Software does not show
FlightGear, but the old Ubuntu Software Centre (which I still have
installed) does.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  Software Center only provides a subset of software available in repos

Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:

  I needed to re-install recordmydesktop for some debug usage and opened
  up the Software Center in Xenial and attempted to do so.

  Searches for 'recordmydesktop' in the software-center returned
  nothing, as the screenshot shows.

  However, it's plainly available if you do an apt-cache search:

  bladernr@galactica:~$ apt-cache search recordmydesktop
  gtk-recordmydesktop - Graphical frontend for recordMyDesktop screencast tool
  recordmydesktop - Captures audio-video data of a Linux desktop session

  So it seems that the software-center is not aware of some things
  (maybe only in Universe?)

  Package: software-center (not installed)
  ApportVersion: 2.20-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity