Public bug reported:

As the administrator of an authentication environment, I would like my
users to be able to reset their password from the lock screen if their
password expires.

Allowing a user to reset their password from a lock screen for a month
after password expiry is no less secure than allowing the user's
password to expire one month later and emailing them relentlessly.

If you allow the option to lock them out and require a password reset at
a time period earlier than their expiration, their security privileges
are never escalated, only reduced. I think that's an acceptable security
policy, and would also be a very useful feature.

something something pipe to passwd, maybe?

** Affects: lightdm (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Reset Password from lock screen

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu: