> I think do frequent automatic rescan could hurt battery life,
> so menu item for manual rescan would be better idea.

They don't need to be *very* frequent. Yes, the menu item for manual
rescan is an absolute MUST (see below though), but it also has to rescan
automatically from time to time.

Also note that the system knows when it's attached to power, and hence
can scan more frequently in that case (assuming battery consumption
really is affected).

Actually, when you manually unfold the network menu, *that* should
already trigger a rescan (if the fact that it is scanning was indicated
by an animation/icon, which it should, then there would be no need for a
specific menu item), and also automatic rescan should be more frequent
when the menu is unfolded. You aren't going to keep that menu open all
the time anyway.

  doesn't scan for available wifi networks often enough + no way to
  manually force a scan

Status in One Hundred Papercuts:
  Confirmed
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  Steps to reproduce:

  - turn on a wifi router nearby
  - click on the network applet icon

  Expected behavior:
  As soon as the new network becomes available, it should become visible in the
list within few seconds (and if it is a network you have already configured and
set to automatically connect to, it should connect)

  Observed behavior:
  You won't see the network show up in the list, or perhaps it will, after a
few minutes. Way too much time.

  Additionally, there should be an item in the menu such as "scan for networks
now" to force scanning for available networks. But there's no such thing even.

  So the only workaround is to physically disable and reenable wifi on
  hardware, if your computer has a button for that. That will trigger
  re-scanning for available networks.

  Package: network-manager 0.9.10.0-4ubuntu15.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.19.0-26.28-generic 3.19.8-ckt4
  Uname: Linux 3.19.0-26-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.17.2-0ubuntu1.3
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Wed Sep  2 23:48:42 2015
  IfupdownConfig:
   # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
   auto lo
   iface lo inet loopback
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Release amd64 (20130424)
  IpRoute:
   default via 192.168.1.1 dev wlan0  proto static  metric 1024
   169.254.0.0/16 dev wlan0  scope link  metric 1000
   192.168.1.0/24 dev wlan0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.1.167
  NetworkManager.state:
   [main]
   NetworkingEnabled=true
   WirelessEnabled=true
   WWANEnabled=true
   WimaxEnabled=true
  SourcePackage: network-manager
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to vivid on 2015-08-15 (18 days ago)
  mtime.conffile..etc.NetworkManager.NetworkManager.conf:
2015-02-20T16:52:59.722501
  nmcli-dev:
   DEVICE             TYPE      STATE         DBUS-PATH
         CONNECTION   CON-UUID                              CON-PATH

   wlan0              wifi      connected
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/2  Sixty-Seven
2dfa6e3a-076f-48f9-a40c-d182c47e4178
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/0
   43:29:1A:07:53:91  bt        disconnected
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/3  --           --
              --
   eth0               ethernet  unavailable
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/1  --           --