Public bug reported:

On several occasions, I've noticed that the toolbar just disappears in
Nautilus. This started happening very recently, though I've been using
11.10 for more than two months. I've been told by several users that the
same thing happens to menus. Now, there's also been two separate
questions about it on AskUbuntu.com which tells me that the issue is
absolutely real. See http://askubuntu.com/questions/64464/empty-
nautilus-menus and http://askubuntu.com/questions/75733/nautilus-menus-
empty-ubuntu-11-10.

I haven't been able to reproduce it reliably, though it _seems_ to have
something to do with workspace switching, but that's only speculation.

** Affects: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  Controls and menus disappear from time to time.

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu: