I just placed a script in .config/autostart

"  xrandr --output VGA-0 --off --output TV-0 --off --output HDMI-0
--primary --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal   "

This was generated by Arandr which was suggested by someone in the IRC.
That failed to work.  Then I tried the same in a folder called
.screenlayout. That also failed.

I tried to have it called from the "Startup Applications" , but that
seems to also be broken (bug report to follow on this), Startup
Applications does not save anything that is added after a reboot.  The
only thing that is showing there is Nvidia  X Server settings.

As stated earlier this was not an issue with 14.04 LTS.  Three weeks
later I am still dealing with this screen resolution issue to the point
that I lost track of all the things that were suggested and from
outdated posts.

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  Screen resolution not saved after reboot or logout and back in

Status in xorg package in Ubuntu:

  Hello,

  I am having an issue with my screen resolution of 1920x1080.  I am using a
Vizio 42 inch TV which worked fine with the HDMI connection from the computer
to the TV. Every time I boot the computer up I have to go into terminal and
type " xrandr -s  1920x1080 "
  One of the first things I did was go to the System Settings > Software &
Updates > Additional Drivers and then select Nividia 304.131
(proprietary,tested).  I do this since when Nouveau was first introduced, it
never worked with my graphics chipset which is a  Nividia 7050.  Yes, the
chipset is old but worked fine until 16.04.

  I spent the weekend trying all suggestions that I could find via the search
engines along with the help of a few folks on the #ubuntu IRC.  Three days
later, still no luck and still having to type the xrandr line in the terminal.
  I even tried adding the xrandr line in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf,  That was a
disaster at bootup. luckily  I was able to get to the terminal and Nano edit
the file and reboot.

  In addition, probably unrelated to this issue, I have also noticed when
running any streaming video, now it is almost like watching a slide show.
Nothing has changed Internet connection or hardware since the install of 16.04.
Even typing this is lagged by 1 to 3 seconds per character typed.  Same issue
in Firefox or Chrome. But sorry, I digress.  This can be looked at in another
post, forum or possible bug.
  The main issue is that Ubuntu 16.04 does not save and or reads the saved
settings of 1920x1080 with out the later use via the terminal using xrandr.  I
did take notice that when booting  into the main desktop  the mouse pointer is
small as if in 1920x1080 but then changes to a larger pointer then the
resolution is then 1280x720 which seems to what 16.04 falls back to.

  The TV reports the proper information under xrandr.
  gee@HTPC:~$ xrandr
  Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 4096 x 4096
  VGA-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
  TV-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
  HDMI-0 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 980mm x 580mm
     1280x720      60.00 +  59.94
     1920x1080     59.94    59.94*   60.05    60.00    50.04
     720x576       50.00    50.08
     720x480       59.94
     640x480       59.93

  gee@HTPC:~$  uname-a
  Linux HTPC 4.4.0-34-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 27 16:06:39 UTC 2016
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  This will be the only information I will post this way since it was quite
short.  I will attach my latest xorg.conf file and also post the pastebin URL
to it if the attachment fails.
  http://pastebin.com/zmcuUJxQ

  Thank you for your time
  GEE