Well, things are now even worse...

Today, I got the "Well, this is embarrasing..." window/tab restore window.
I have had it many times over the years (not too much lately, which is odd, as
I believe FF crashes on exit every time now...).  I just click on restore, and
all
windows/tabs come up just fine.

This time was apparently no different.

However, after I did I checked my email, i suddenly noticed that I had
only four FF windows, instead of the usual ten or eleven.

I pulled up the profile directory and session store backups directories,
as I have been doing every session lately, and noted that the
recovery.js/.bak files (created for this session upon startup, as usual)
were only 4.8MB in size.  My previous.js was as expected, about 23MB.

I tried to get my tabs back (admittedly 2 weeks old, as previous.js was dated
August 16).
I shut down FF, deleted recovery.js, copied previous.js to recovery.js and
restarted FF.

BIG mistake - I should have copied previous.js TWICE, once to something
FF would not have recognized...

When FF restarted, it was again only 4 windows, again only about 4.8MB.
And NOW, the previous.js file was dated today, and was only about 4.8MB.

Where the hell is FF getting its windows/tabs info??!!??

It sure wasn't getting it from the recovery.js file after I copied previous.js
to it, as it had been 23MB.
It wasn't sessionstore.js, as I have yet to see anything labelled that(or
cleanBackup) in either my profile directory or its sessionstore-backups
directory since before I started this bug.
And yes, I did check -  both when FF was running, and when it was not running.

[I suppose it's too late, but if anyone has any idea how to get back all
my windows/tabs, I would be very grateful to hear it...  Perhaps some
temporary file, or trash directory - I did check tmp and my Trash -
nothing obvious there...]

By the way - is there any way of having FF take a running session and
making a session store file somewhere on demand (hopefully with the
ability to name it myself) so that I can copy it for disasters like
this?

  Recently, when FF starts up, not all of the restored windows/tabs are
  the most recent ones.

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  With the latest FF (or perhaps one version before?) a weird thing
  happens when I start up my FF profile:

  Once all the windows and tabs are loaded, and I peruse the list of windows in
my bottom panel,
  I will see things that were NOT as I left them when I shut FF down last.

  Ex. I see that one window has the focus tab (the one tab per window that
actually gets loaded when FF starts up) has the text "BBQ Crock Pot..."  This
is a recipe that I no longer need, and have deleted - several times.  The 4
tabs that follow that tab I also deleted.
  I have just deleted them again, but I know that when I start FF tomorrow,
THERE they will be again...

  Next, there is a tab labeled "Rochester Gas..." a site where I can
  find low gas prices here in Rochester, NY.  Now I know that when I
  leave this window, I leave it on the Weather tab almost every time.
  Probably once in the last couple of weeks it was on the gas prices tab
  when I shut FF down.  Apparently THAT was the day that FF keeps
  resurrecting (for that window, at least...)

  Another window tab shows the correct tab, Google Translate, but when I
  go there to translate something, the text that it resurrects from "the
  last time" is actually from several sessions (maybe a week?) before
  (and naturally, it is something embarrassing that I wouldn't want
  people to see...!  Of course.)

  Although it has finally gone away, there was one time that I opened up
  a window to look up probably 8 to 10 things on the same subject,
  finished with them, deleted the tabs, and then the window - but then
  had the window/tabs reappear every time FF loaded, perhaps for the
  next 4-5 days.

  ---

  Basically  - something changed in FF that causes it to not load the most
recent windows/tabs,
  but some earlier set.

  Now... this could mean that when shut down, FF IS saving the windows and
tabs, but not loading the most recent set when re-starting.... OR
  FF is not always saving windows/tabs every time it shuts down, but is
resurrecting the most recent copy it has available...

  Those are the two scenarios that I have thought up, but of course
  there are probably others...

  ---

  [NOTE: before I invoked ubuntu-bug to file this report, there was a
  weird problem that caused Amazon.com pages to display improperly and
  be almost unresponsive (memory problem?  FF problem?  Amazon problem?
  - who knows...)  Anyway, I decided it would be good to shut FF down
  and restart.  Apparently FF crashed during the shut-down (I had to
  delete .parentlock before I could restart the profile).  So ubuntu-bug
  probably will have pulled in stuff that relates to that crash, that
  will have nothing to do with the bug I am reporting, as it is not a
  crash - merely weird behavior. ]

  scott@scott-Asus-M2N68-AM-Plus:~$ uname -a
  Linux scott-Asus-M2N68-AM-Plus 4.4.0-31-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 13
00:06:14 UTC 2016 i686 athlon i686 GNU/Linux
  scott@scott-Asus-M2N68-AM-Plus:~$ lsb_release -dsc
  Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
  xenial
  scott@scott-Asus-M2N68-AM-Plus:~$ echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
  Lubuntu

  Package: firefox 47.0+build3-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
  Uname: Linux 4.4.0-31-generic i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  AddonCompatCheckDisabled: False
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: i386
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p:   scott      1240 F...m pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  scott      1240 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC2:  scott      1240 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  scott      1240 F.... pulseaudio
  BuildID: 20160606113900
  Channel: Unavailable
  CurrentDesktop: LXDE
  Date: Tue Jul 26 23:25:47 2016
  DefaultProfileIncompatibleExtensions:
   English (South Africa) Language Pack - langpack-en...@firefox.mozilla.org
   English (GB) Language Pack - langpack-en...@firefox.mozilla.org
   Default - {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}
  DefaultProfilePlugins: Shockwave Flash -
/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
  DefaultProfilePrefSources: prefs.js
  ForcedLayersAccel: False
  IfupdownConfig:
   # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
   auto lo
   iface lo inet loopback
  InstallationMedia: Lubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release i386
(20160420.1)
  IpRoute:
   default via 192.168.0.1 dev enp0s7
   192.168.0.0/24 dev enp0s7  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.0.2
  MostRecentCrashID: bp-44f9dd73-a7cd-4e42-bc1b-3aa0f2160727
  PciNetwork:

  Profile1IncompatibleExtensions:
   Global Menu Bar integration - globalm...@ubuntu.com
   English (South Africa) Language Pack - langpack-en...@firefox.mozilla.org
   English (GB) Language Pack - langpack-en...@firefox.mozilla.org
  Profile1PrefSources: prefs.js
  Profile2Extensions: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  Profile2IncompatibleExtensions: Unavailable (corrupt or non-existant
compatibility.ini or extensions.sqlite)
  Profile2Locales: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  Profile2Plugins: Shockwave Flash -
/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
  Profile2PrefSources: prefs.js
  Profile2Themes: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  Profiles:
   Profile0 (Default) - LastVersion=47.0/20160606113900 (In use)
   Profile1 - LastVersion=28.0/20140410211157 (Out of date)
   Profile2 - LastVersion=47.0/20160606113900
  RfKill:

  RunningIncompatibleAddons: True
  SourcePackage: firefox
  SubmittedCrashIDs:
   bp-44f9dd73-a7cd-4e42-bc1b-3aa0f2160727
   bp-cb6c0288-10f2-4cc9-afdd-662552160622
   bp-062d78b9-0997-469d-ac2b-2c25f2160620
   bp-33012966-2403-4ed0-a9f0-e94f02160519
   bp-649eea70-f030-4f17-857b-f9eeb2160510
  dmi.bios.date: 06/10/2010
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: 1802
  dmi.board.asset.tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.board.name: M2N68-AM Plus
  dmi.board.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
  dmi.board.version: Rev X.0x
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: Asset-1234567890
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Chassis Manufacture
  dmi.chassis.version: Chassis Version
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr1802:bd06/10/2010:svnSystemmanufacturer:pnSystemProductName:pvrSystemVersion:rvnASUSTeKComputerINC.:rnM2N68-AMPlus:rvrRevX.0x:cvnChassisManufacture:ct3:cvrChassisVersion:
  dmi.product.name: System Product Name
  dmi.product.version: System Version
  dmi.sys.vendor: System manufacturer