** Changed in: libreoffice (Ubuntu)

  libreoffice-gtk conflicts with large lo-writer file

Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:

  Using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS installed originally from a weekly beta2 ISO;
  the image was verified at the time to match its checksum and the
  install has since consistently been  upgraded.

  From the start, Libreoffice writer (1:5.1.2-0ubuntu1 - amd64) has
  struggled with a "large" file I have been working on since Ubuntu
  15.04,  although it works perfectly for newly created files or
  existing smaller files, though.

  I was hoping to continue using my exiting file, however: one that
  counts about 14,000 paragraphs, 3.5 million characters and some 300
  tables as well a large number of bookmarks/internal links).

  I should have hoped that LO would simply load it and let me get on
  with my work as it did before.

  Unfortunately, here is what really happens whenever I try to load it:
  - when the progress bar completes , Writer greys out and locks up for several
minutes on end (anything from a few minutes to a quarter of an hour)
  - during that time, the interface is clearly distorted (two overlapping
status bars - duplicated vertical scrollbars at the right side - the title bar
covering up the menu bar as well as part of the upper toolbar - the horizontal
ruler shifted to the right, causing the "comments" column to appear on the left
rather than the right)
  - when the file eventually gets loaded and the interface is restored, the
menus turns out to be unusable: the drop-downs are narrow blacks slabs without
any entries and without any responsiveness
  - the page count is wildly off: the file is about 1100 pages, yet Writer
reports over 1800; at any moment, however, it will update its count to reflect
the actual number.
  - random actions can produce a new prolonged lock-up; in particular copying
text, opening up the navigator or doing a search.

  The only way to open the file in a usable way is to restart Writer
  several times in a row (which takes LOTS of patience considering the
  time it takes the file to load...)

  Apparently, the only way to avoid these problems  is to delete the
  libreoffice-gnome/gtk packages. Unfortunately, that leaves me with an
  interface that looks like are relic from a previous century....

  I did not much like that, so I  have experimented  with the debs
  available directly from the LibreOffice project. Sadly, I am seeing
  the same behaviour.

  Package: libreoffice-writer 1:5.1.2-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  CurrentDesktop: Unity