Addendum to post #48
After installing Xenial dist upgrade a few eeks ago the number of bugs caused
me to reinstall Trusty 14.04.4 from cd. Although this gvfs problem did not
exist in my original 14.04 system (installed in 2013) it cropped up in my new
install - Nautilus could not find my NAS and the fan began to run at high
speed. Applying the fix from post #29 followed by reboot fixed the problem
immediately. I do not have Samba installed on this computer so it does seem to
ba a gvfs problem.

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  gvfsd-smb: very high CPU utilisation

Status in samba:
  Unknown
Status in gvfs package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in samba package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in gvfs package in Fedora:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  Example:

  I use Virtualbox and mount a .vdi on an SMB server. Using gvfsd-smb
  (browsing within Gnome to find the share), gvfsd-smb uses up to 50%
  CPU which slows down the entire system when accessing the network
  share. Mounting using sudo ($ sudo mount -t smbfs -o
  guest,nounix,noperm //server/share /media/share) so that cifs is used
  uses around 8% CPU. The difference is dramatic!

  If I didn't have sudo access my machine would grind to a halt when
  trying to use the remote share.

  Package: gvfs-backends 1.12.1-0ubuntu1.2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.11.0-26.45~precise1-generic 3.11.10.12
  Uname: Linux 3.11.0-26-generic i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu17.8
  Architecture: i386