Hi, I am not sure this is related or not but let me share:

Iceweasel/Firefox-esr: Temporal freeze when print/print preview

In this issue, browsers' printing function always cause
temporal freeze where Cups is never installed.
Once Cups (and the related packages) is installed,
no hangs any more even after Cups is uninstalled.

The following is the list of installed packages with the name of cups:

% aptitude search cups | grep ^i
i A libcups2                        - Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - Core lib
i A libcupsfilters1                 - OpenPrinting CUPS Filters - Shared library
i A libcupsimage2                   - Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - Raster i

Taro

Packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.

  Cups causes LibreOffice unittests to loop in a sbuild

Status in cups package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in sbuild package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in winff package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  When building LibreOffice 1:5.2.0-0ubuntu1 on a xenial host with a
  yakkety sbuild, e.g. by:

  sbuild -A -d yakkety-amd64 (...).dsc

  this loops/busy hangs with unittests. This was working ok up to
  5.2.0~rc4 (=final), it is a regression by a LibreOffice dependency,
  most likely CUPS, which was updated.

  I tried to inject debug symbols by running with a: --chroot-setup-
  command and then run something along the lines of:

   apt install cups
   wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/278966811/cups-dbgsym_2.2~rc1-4_amd64.ddeb
   wget
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/278966816/libcups2-dbgsym_2.2~rc1-4_amd64.ddeb
   dpkg -i cups-dbgsym_2.2~rc1-4_amd64.ddeb
   dpkg -i libcups2-dbgsym_2.2~rc1-4_amd64.ddeb

  before starting the build proper, but I got only marginally better
  debug info. The hanging LibreOffice test processes usually have 2-4
  child processes. The parent and one of the childs are busy, while the
  rest idle.

  Here is a stacktrace of the busy child:

  Program received signal SIGPIPE, Broken pipe.
  0x00002b0a80dd615f in fgetspent (stream=0x11) at fgetspent.c:43
  43    in fgetspent.c
  (gdb) bt
  #0  0x00002b0a80dd615f in fgetspent (stream=0x11) at fgetspent.c:43
  #1  0x000000000000001e in ?? ()
  #2  0x000055c4976981e0 in ?? ()
  #3  0x00002b0a8aff8d20 in ipp_options () from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcups.so.2
  #4  0x0000000000004002 in ?? ()
  #5  0x00002b0a8ada9feb in ppdCollect2 (ppd=0x2b0a8ada9bdf
<cupsGetDestMediaDefault+415>, section=29, min_order=0, choices=0x2b0a8adad6f3
<cupsFileGetConf+467>) at emit.c:145
  #6  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

  Here is a stacktrace of the busy parent:

  Thread 3 "CUPSManager cup" received signal SIGPIPE, Broken pipe.
  #0  0x00002b0a80dd615f in fgetspent (stream=0x11) at fgetspent.c:43
  #1  0x000000000000001e in ?? ()
  #2  0x000055c4976981e0 in ?? ()
  #3  0x00002b0a8aff8d20 in ipp_options () from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcups.so.2
  #4  0x0000000000004002 in ?? ()
  #5  0x00002b0a8ada9feb in ppdCollect2 (ppd=0x2b0a8ada9bdf
  #6  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

  When pressing "c" in gdb to continue, both processes stop very quickly again
with the SIGPIPE.
  Venturing a guess: Is the signal handling of CUPS b0rked? As fgetspent reads
the shadow file[1], maybe there are missing permissions or other sandbox issues
that CUPS doesnt handle error cases for properly?

  [1] http://linux.die.net/man/3/fgetspent