In my opinion moving the lock icon in a position where it doesn't
overlap with the indicator should solve.

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-applet in Ubuntu.

  UI Issue: WiFi network stength hard to see with many networks.

Status in network-manager-applet package in Ubuntu:

  When looking at the 'More Networks' drop down for the network manager
  indicator, we see that a large collection of networks can make trying
  to see the strength of a network quite hard. The Icons don't lend
  themselves to being stacked one on top of another as in the list.

  See the screenshot for an example.