I've been watching the "Ubuntu-Software" since I fresh installed 16.04 on
another machine.
My complaint was the same; offerings meager.
Now after an upgrade on machine #2 the same software tool appeared.

 Then I tried "Ubuntu Software Center 15.12" and it is the full meal deal. All
that I expected albeit in a different GUI form from the 14.04 that I was used
to.
select " ubuntu Software Center" from Unity search your computer button and I
locked it to the unity launcher. It was there with a different name all ready
to go
Works for me.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  No Application Data Found

Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:

  I installed ubuntu 16.04 and when I go to the gnome software, it says
  "No Application Data Found". It is all greyed out and no apps are
  available for download.