Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: metacity (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to metacity in Ubuntu.

  Window depth order messed up

Status in metacity package in Ubuntu:

  Using the gome-flashback session with metacity is totally messed up
  since I updated from Ubuntu 14.04.3 to 16.04.1.

  All the effects mentioned here do not appear when using compiz, so I
  guess Metacity is broken.

  -Windows that should open in front (like Kupfer) appear behind the
  windows already open.

  -Before nemo is run, the Ubuntu default desktop background image
  appear, it can't be changed by settings. I just guess this is due
  wrong ordering of the true background and some window used by Gnome
  for showing the selected background.

  -If nemo is run to take over the desktop, the destkop icons appear in
  front of all windows.

  I guess all those effects originate from a similiar reason. None of these
problems where appearant at Ubuntu 14.04.

  This is a total show stopper for using metacity on 16.04 as everyday
  applications like nemo and Kupfer can't be used.