Hi Christopher, thanks for the link. The issue does not occur with the
current daily image (downloaded and tested today). Even with the network
connection being dropped mid scan, the application still functions and
the document can be saved including the last partially scanned page.

Packages, which is subscribed to simple-scan in Ubuntu.

  network issues during scan over network cause program crash

Status in simple-scan package in Ubuntu:

  HP Photosmart 4858

  This occured while scanning from a wireless printer over the wireless
  network.

  1. Scan the fist page of a document
  2. Scan a subsequent page and disconnect from the network while the job is
processing.

  Actual result:
  A) Simple Scan goes grey and my 100 page scan is forever lost.
  B) No sign of a temporary file that I can salvage.

  Expected result: Scanning should stop but not crash, with an optional
  notice from simple-scan. I can save my document. Should be possible
  restore the connection and continue.

  Package: simple-scan 3.4.1-0ubuntu1.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-29.46-generic-pae 3.2.24
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-29-generic-pae i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu12
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Thu Aug 23 18:20:44 2012
  DriverPackageVersions:
   libsane 1.0.22-7ubuntu1
   libsane-extras N/A
   hplip 3.12.2-1ubuntu3.1
   hpoj N/A
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta i386 (20120328)
  MachineType: Dell Inc. Studio 1535
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-29-generic-pae
root=UUID=33b92b57-c8b9-43ed-bc6e-1fcaf9df94de ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
  SourcePackage: simple-scan
  dmi.bios.date: 07/30/2008
  dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: A05
  dmi.board.name: 0F700C
  dmi.board.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.chassis.type: 8
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvrA05:bd07/30/2008:svnDellInc.:pnStudio1535:pvr:rvnDellInc.:rn0F700C:rvr:cvnDellInc.:ct8:cvr:
  dmi.product.name: Studio 1535
  dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Inc.