Public bug reported:

Updated from Lubuntu 14.04LTS to Lubuntu 16.04LTS - printer no longer works.
The enable check box can be checked, but after clicking Apply there is a delay
of about two seconds and it reverts to not enabled.
This is a 64 bit installation on a ThinkPadX61.
My 32 bit installation on an Acer Aspire One netbook (also version 1.5.7) does
not have this problem.
However, neither installation can connect to the scanner function of my Canon
MG3150.

Lubuntu 16.04.1

Print job appears in the queue as pending
Printer state: Stopped - Rendering completed

** Affects: system-config-printer (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to system-config-printer in Ubuntu.

  system-config-printer 1.5.7 will not enable

Status in system-config-printer package in Ubuntu: