Thanks Luke.

I tried it but, sorry to report, the results are the same: pavucontrol
claims that the HDMI is unplugged.

I also checked with "aplay -D" commands and none of the HDMI devices
detected will play.  The internal audio and a USB device are detected
and work fine.

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  No HDMI audio on Lenovo pro dock with T440s

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  pavucontrol shows Display Port/HDMI output as "(unplugged)" and cannot
  be chosen as a sink.  This is only a problem with the dock; audio
  works when plugging HDMI through the laptop's DP input.

  The audio did work with the dock in Ubuntu 14.04.  Did something in
  jack detection change?  Anyway, my work around is to plug a 3.4mm
  audio cable into the dock and power the speakers that way, but it
  would be nice to use the HDMI audio again.

  I would love to have a work around.  I've attached the output from
  alsa-info.sh, just in case this is useful.

  Package: pulseaudio 1:8.0-0ubuntu3
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC3:  weinberg   2221 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC2:  weinberg   2221 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  weinberg   2221 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  weinberg   2221 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Mon May 16 17:18:06 2016
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160420.1)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_US
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: pulseaudio
  dmi.bios.date: 03/19/2014
  dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.bios.version: GJET74WW (2.24 )
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Not Available
  dmi.board.name: 20ARA0S100
  dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.board.version: Not Defined
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.chassis.version: Not Available
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvrGJET74WW(2.24):bd03/19/2014:svnLENOVO:pn20ARA0S100:pvrThinkPadT440s:rvnLENOVO:rn20ARA0S100:rvrNotDefined:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNotAvailable:
  dmi.product.name: 20ARA0S100
  dmi.product.version: ThinkPad T440s
  dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO