Technically why this happens is gnome-software asks snapd to remove the
snap. Since gnome-software is run as as user (i.e. not as root) it
prompts gnome-software for authorization. The only method of getting
authorization is to call 'snap login' which prompts for store
credentials.

What we actually want here is the equivalent of sudo. i.e. check if the
user is an administrator and prompt them for their password. This would
require snapd to have a "login-local" type concept that would return
authorization without checking Ubuntu One credentials.

I'll ask the Snappy team what their thoughts are on this.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu Software asks for an Ubuntu Single Sign-On account to remove a
  snap

Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  If I try to uninstall a snap using Ubuntu Software, it asks for an Ubuntu
Single Sign-On account. It seems strange since if I use a terminal and do:
  $ sudo snap remove john-the-ripper

  Everything works as expected.

  BTW: Ubuntu Software takes ages to find out the size of the snap
  package.