I can confirm the same problem exists with Xubuntu x64 16.04 as well.
However I can also confirm that this has been a problem with all Ubuntu
flavors for many years.

The difference now is that nothing can be done on the user side to fix
it. After all these years I'd become quite adept at editing display.xml
and monitor.xml files, xorg.conf files, etc. but now none of that works.
The only thing I haven't tried is changing Compiz settings, but that's
because Xubuntu doesn't run Compiz by default, and people running Compiz
have already reported that it can't be fixed their anyway.

I know the developers work hard and always have their plates full, but
if they could at least fix it enough that we could edit conf files again
it would be great.

** Also affects: xfwm4 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  Cannot set right monitor as primary in dual monitor configuration

Status in unity-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in xfwm4 package in Ubuntu:

  Unity always considers the left monitor as the default/primary one when in a
dual-monitor configuration. By this I mean that:
  - Desktop icons appear only on the left monitor
  - An opened app (eg libreoffice writer) is opened on the left screen, even if
I launch it via the launcher on the right monitor

  The current configuration can be seen at

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/wild_oscar/Screenshotfrom2015-02-24100853.png

  The .config/monitors.xml file is shown below. Notice that the HDMI
  display (green in the photo) is set as    <primary>yes</primary>.
  Nevertheless, this seems to be ignored - the behaviour is the one
  mentioned above (desktop icons on the left and writer opening on the
  left) .

  <monitors version="1">
    <configuration>
        <clone>no</clone>