The initial report of this was nearly six years ago. If this program is
so "dead," I have to wonder why here in late Sep. 2016 on an up-to-date
Raspbian system this is still the default app run when Xfce users run
the "Users and Groups" item on the System main menu.  I guess it's
either not as dead as you thought, or many distribution maintainers
including the Raspbian folks should be using something else (and what, I
do not know).

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-system-tools in Ubuntu.

  users-admin hangs immediately when run as root

Status in gnome-system-tools package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: gnome-system-tools

  When users-admin is run as root, whether by sudo, gksudo, or from a
  root shell (started with "sudo su"), it hangs. The "busy" mouse
  pointer (spinny wheel, with the default theme) is shown. The widgets
  in the window are drawn (though the users list is not populated), but
  faded out and unusable. It does not monopolize CPU resources in this
  state. SIGTERM kills it without incident.

  This is on a 64-bit Maverick system (with version 2.32.0-0ubuntu1 of
gnome-system-tools). The output of "uname -a" on this system is:
  Linux Apok 2.6.35-23-generic #41-Ubuntu SMP Wed Nov 24 11:55:36 UTC 2010
x86_64 GNU/Linux

  When run as a non-root user, users-admin works without problems,
  including when performing tasks requiring it to elevate privileges to
  root while running (e.g. creating a user). And it works fine when a
  non-root user runs it as an alternate non-root user.

  I have also reproduced this bug on a 32-bit Maverick system, as well
  as a 32-bit Natty system (same gnome-system-tools package version).

  Package: gnome-system-tools 2.32.0-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-23.41-generic 2.6.35.7