On Sun, Oct 02, 2016 at 10:27:43AM -0000, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Iain Lane [2016-10-01 19:26 -0000]:
> > Hmm. Maybe this is saying that we should bind ubuntu-session.target to
> > something else - like unity7? You can't log in again with an active
> > unity7, so in theory (if stop is propagated down to graphical-session
> > and graphical-session-pre) there wouldn't be a need to stop/restart in
> > the script since everything would be stopped by definition if you're
> > trying to start unity7 again.
>
> I like that idea in principle -- picking a session leader which
> automatically dies when X goes away would be a lot simpler indeed (and
> gnome-session does not do that). I picked gnome-session as the session
> leader because it traditionally has had that role, and it still has
> the API for logging out.
>
> Another point is that we want to make unity/compiz robust against
> crashes and provide auto-restart -- if it becomes the session leader,
> then the whole session will go down on any crash. So picking
> unity7.service in particular is a bad choice.

It would be good if it were possible to say that the BindsTo shouldn't
trigger the target to stop until after systemd gives up restarting the
unit.

--
Iain Lane                                  [ i...@orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ la...@debian.org ]

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-session in Ubuntu.

  unity-gtk-module.service is racy; session services don't stop if
  session terminates

Status in gnome-session package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in unity-gtk-module package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in upstart package in Ubuntu:

  Sometimes on session start unity-gtk-module.service runs too late or
  something, and $GTK_MODULES does not include "unity". It is in
  "systemctl --user show-environment" but not in a terminal bash.