I'm using a Canon Lide 60 scanner in combination with Simple Scan 3.20.0 on
Xubuntu 16.04 .
Appearently someone mixed up the direction of the sliders, i.e. if you want to
scan darker you now have to move the slider towards "brighter". Same with
"contrast" and possibly "quality".

Packages, which is subscribed to simple-scan in Ubuntu.

  brightness, contrast for Canon LIDE 110 not working

Status in simple-scan package in Ubuntu:

  I greatly appreciate the added sliders for brightness, contrast, and
  quality in the simple-scan preferences.

  However, for my scanner, they seem to have no effect, and resulting
  scans of color text documents are still very gray, just as when the
  brightness and contrast are set to the default values, or in prior
  version of simple-scan that did not have the sliders.

  My scanner is a Canon Canoscan LIDE 110.

  Using xsane, I can easily adjust the brightness and contrast, so I
  don't believe it is a problem with the scanner itself, but I am happy
  to perform any tests.

  I am using simple-scan 3.12.1 in Trusty.