This bug was fixed in the package network-manager -
1.2.2-0ubuntu0.16.04.3

---------------
network-manager (1.2.2-0ubuntu0.16.04.3) xenial; urgency=medium

  * debian/tests/wpa-dhclient: Don't assume that the IPv6 prefix length from
    the DHCP server is /64. (LP: #1609898)

network-manager (1.2.2-0ubuntu0.16.04.2) xenial; urgency=medium

  [ Martin Pitt ]
  * Read config and system connections from /run/NetworkManager/ to support
    netplan (LP: #1627641)
  * debian/gbp.conf: Set debian-branch to xenial

  [ Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre ]
  * Add dns-manager-don-t-merge-split-DNS-search-domains.patch: do not add
    split DNS search domains to resolv.conf; doing so would risk leaking names
    to non-VPN DNS nameservers when attempting to resolve non- FQDN names.
    (LP: #1592721)

 -- Martin Pitt <martin.p...@ubuntu.com>  Tue, 27 Sep 2016 16:29:22
+0200

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu Xenial)

  Backport netplan to xenial

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in nplan package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in network-manager source package in Xenial:
  Fix Released
Status in nplan source package in Xenial:
  Fix Committed
Status in systemd source package in Xenial:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  For snappy (at first at least) we need to provide netplan in xenial,
  as for the first snappy GA release we must not use any PPAs any more.

  netplan's NetworkManager backend depends on two patches to read
  configuration and connections from /run/NetworkManager/. These will
  need to be backported for full netplan support; but they are not
  required for snappy as this will use a snapped NM. However, this will
  need a temporary hack
  (https://code.launchpad.net/%7Emorphis/netplan/+git/netplan/+merge/306607)
  until snaps can actually properly support OS components like
  NetworkManager.

  PATCHES:

https://git.launchpad.net/~network-manager/network-manager/+git/ubuntu/commit/?h=xenial&id=6dcdb85

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-systemd/systemd.git/commit/?h=ubuntu-xenial&id=4e9c52b0bb

  REGRESSION POTENTIAL:
  netplan: The risk for existing installations is practically zero as nplan
does not exist in xenial yet and thus will not be pulled in during upgrades.

  NetworkManager: Nothing in xenial expects/uses /run/NetworkManager/
  and as it's an ephemeral tmpfs there is no risk of existing files
  there. If the patches are broken it could in theory happen that
  NetworkManager also does not properly read files from
  /etc/NetworkManager/ any more, so the -proposed package must verify
  that existing connections still work.

  systemd: This does change behavior of networkd quite a bit: RA is now
  being handled in userpsace instead of the kernel, there are some new
  virtual device types, LLDP support, etc., and there are no (known)
  backwards incompatibilities. The 229 version was known buggy with
  DHCPv6 (we disabled these two test cases), and judging by the feedback
  in Debian 231 is now reasonably stable. networkd is not being used by
  default or advertised in Ubuntu 16.04 (so far), so this will not
  affect the vast majority of installations. But while we have quite
  good test coverage, it cannot be ruled out that we break some custom
  setup that uses networkd.

  TEST PLAN:
  1. Run "NetworkManager --print-config" and save the output.
  2. Install the proposed NetworkManager and confirm that existing connections
(from /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections) still work.
  3. Run "NetworkManager --print-config" again and verify that the output is
the same as in step 1.
  4. netplan has a very comprehensive integration test suite run as
autopkgtest, which covers NetworkManager (including the /run patches) and
network. Confirm that it succeeds.