Sorry, forgot to mention. I confirm this does solve the toolbar problem,
once you get it installed.

Installation required removing emacs24 and some other packages that
depended on it.

Packages, which is subscribed to emacs24 in Ubuntu.

  Toolbar is blank

Status in emacs24 package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in emacs24 package in Debian:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  Emacs 24.5+1-6ubuntu1 in xenial does not display the gtk toolbar
  correctly.  It is just an empty grey space.  This appears to be the
  same issue as which required
  cherry-picking an upstream commit:

  I also tried upgrading to the yakkety packages 24.5+1-6ubuntu3 and
  libpng16-16, but this did not correct the issue.