I'm also affected. As I work on a collaborative document where I cannot just
change the basic document to make workarounds this bug is really a show stopper
for me.
Could a maintainer please
 * change importance to medium or more?
 * give some information on why the newer version of titlesec cannot be
packaged? I read "The issue has been solved with titlesec version 2.10.2
(released 2016/03/21)" at
Thanks for your help!

Packages, which is subscribed to texlive-extra in Ubuntu.

  titlesec does not render section numbers

Status in texlive-extra package in Ubuntu:

Bug description:
  The titlesec package does not work properly after distribution upgrade
  to 16.04LTS.

  Steps to reproduce:
  1) Create a tex document and include titlesec
  2) Create some sections headers via \section{Some section}
  3) Run pdflatex/lualatex/xelatex

  What should happen
  The section should be created with the corresponding number: 1 Some Section

  What happens
  Only the text is present: Some Section

  If the section header format is changed via \titleformat, the entire
  formatting disappears from the final pdf.

  Might be related to

  Ubuntu Version: 16.04 LTS
  texlive-latex-extra Version: 2015.20160320-1