This bug seems to be present on Kubuntu 16.10 also.

Attempting to open a rar file gives "No suitable plugin found.
Ark does not seem to support this file type."

Ark 16.04.3

dpkg -s shared-mime-info | grep Version
Version: 1.7-1

I have installed rar, unrar, p7zip-rar.  I can extract files from the
command-line but not from Ark.

Packages, which is subscribed to shared-mime-info in Ubuntu.

  This package breaks "ark" rar support

Status in shared-mime-info package in Ubuntu:

Bug description:
  So i was told here:

  this mav be a package bug in ubuntu xenial, which i confirmed. There
  are links to the upstream issue, which is already fixed, and a bugfix
  that i would gladly wish you backport.

  Release:        16.04

    Installed: 1.5-2ubuntu0.1
    Candidate: 1.5-2ubuntu0.1