Public bug reported:

Every time I resume from suspend, my display is garbled (looks a bit
like the loading screen from a Commodore 64). A "sudo service lightdm
restart" from a different console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) fixes the issue, but
logs me out of the session as well. I get past the login screen, and
sometimes the display is fine for about a minute or so, but it
inevitably garbles up. The artifacts shift when I move my mouse, and
will occasionally have a clear picture for a frame or two, or if my
mouse is in a specific point, and not moving. This error was not present
before I upgraded my system from an AMD RadeonHD 6870 to an Nvidia
GeForce GTX 1060, and I therefore believe this is a bug in the nvidia
drivers, rather than lightdm itself.

Ubuntu 16.10
nvidia-367:
  Installed: 367.57-0ubuntu3
  Candidate: 367.57-0ubuntu3
  Version table:
 *** 367.57-0ubuntu3 500
        500 http://no.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu yakkety/restricted amd64
Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Package: nvidia-367 367.57-0ubuntu3
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia