Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: gedit (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu.

  gedit edit window  is transparent when using Ambiance and Radiance
  themes

Status in gedit package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in ubuntu-themes package in Ubuntu:

  In a freshly booted and fully updated Ubuntu 16.10 the edit window of
  gedit is transparent using the *Classic* colour scheme. Other colour
  schemes seem to work as intended.

  The text of loaded files shows against the desktop wallpaper but when
  no files are loaded gedit displays its edit window or pane as it
  should do.

  To clarify this bug is only apparent when a file is loaded.

  I don't know when this started as I don't normally used gedit to edit
  files. I haven't found any other application affected by this problem.

  Package: gedit 3.20.2-2ubuntu1
  CurrentDesktop: Unity