2 Bernie:

I had similar issue with Xenial. Two things to be mentioned:

1) It was not clean OS install, Xenial was upgraded from 14.04
2) There were error messages, when I tried to choose HSP profile:

[pulseaudio] module-bluez5-device.c: Refused to switch profile to
headset_head_unit: Not connected

So, I reinstalled the bluez package and the problem disappeared.
Something like this:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall bluez

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Bluetooth headset HSP/HFP mode not working in Xenial

Status in HWE Next:
  New
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  Using the 2/14 Xenial daily build, paired bluetooth headsets' do not
  work in HSP/HFP mode.

  [Steps to reproduce]
  1. Pair a bluetooth headset with laptop installed with Xenial 2/14 daily build
  2. In the laptop, go to sound settings > output tab > try switching mode to
HSP/HFP mode
  3. Press the "test sound" button and try playing sound
  4. Go to the input tab and check if bluetooth headset mic is listed

  [Expected result]
  After step 3, a window for mono audio test should pop up
  After step 4, the input tab should list a bluetooth headset mic device

  [Actual result]
  After step 3, the window that pops up is for stereo (A2DP) audio test
  After step 4, the input tab does not list any bluetooth headset mic

  [Details]
  BT wireless module:
   * Intel 3160
  BT headset:
   * Jabra CLI
  Xenial: 2/14 daily build:
   * Kernel: 4.4.0-6
   * bluez: 5.36-0ubuntu1
   * gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio:amd64: 1.7.2-1ubuntu1
   * pulseaudio: 1:8.0-0ubuntu2
   * pulseaudio-module-bluetooth: 1:8.0-0ubuntu2

  [Note]
  Also double checked with same set of hardware, but with 15.10 installed.
  Bluetooth headset HSP/HFP mode worked correctly in 15.10.

  15.10 details:
   * kernel: 4.2.0-19
   * bluez: 5.35-0ubuntu2
   * gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio:amd64: 1.6.0-1ubuntu1
   * pulseaudio: 1:6.0-0ubuntu13
   * pulseaudio-module-bluetooth: 1:6.0-0ubuntu13