Because my bug report #1633824 was marked as a duplicate, I want to
point out that in my case all internal (built-in) disks and ext4
partitions are effected - not only externals drives - and this on three
different machines !

  nautilus ignores trash on external drives

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  Using nautilus 3.20 as included in Ubuntu 16.10, I can move files to
  trash in general. However only the items removed from permanently
  installed drives shows up in the trash virtual folder. In the case of
  usb removable drives, the .Trash-1000 folder is correctly created, and
  the files are in there but the nautilus GUI does not show those files
  in its virtual trash folder.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.20.3-1ubuntu3
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  CurrentDesktop: Unity