Sorry for the spam. I couldn't figure out how to attach multiple files.

** Attachment added: "error_log"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups-filters/+bug/1638986/+attachment/4778777/+files/error_log

Packages, which is subscribed to cups-filters in Ubuntu.

  cups/cups-browsed causing delay in shutdown (16.04)

Status in cups-filters package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in cups-filters source package in Xenial:
  Fix Committed

  Release:      16.04

  cups-filters:
    Installed: 1.8.3-2ubuntu3.1
    Candidate: 1.8.3-2ubuntu3.1
    Version table:
   *** 1.8.3-2ubuntu3.1 500
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       1.8.3-2ubuntu3 500
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages

  Bug description:

  I have updated to the latest cups-filters version to fix the bug as
  described by bug report #1579905 but I still get that Ubuntu takes
  very long to shutdown.

  For now, I have simply disabled cups-browser and I manually start it
  up every time I need to print something.

  It is probably related to

  as Till has described in #1579905. I tried to download and compile the
  upstream version at BZR as suggested for Debian but I ended up not
  being able to print anymore and instead went back to the current
  version in the package distribution.

  Hopefully, there is an easy fix for Ubuntu 16.04 as well.

  [Impact]

  On many machines the shutdown will take unusually long, typically the
  90-second timeout after which a hanging process gets killed. One case
  where this easily happens is if you have a remote CUPS server sharing
  printers which your local cups-browsed picks up and your local CUPS is
  not listening on localhost:631 (usually when it does not share
  printers). cups-browsed also tries to access the local cupsd on
  localhost:631 and hangs.

  [Testcase]

  Take two machines in one local network (can also be VMs), one being a
  CUPS server with at least one print queue being shared, another a
  client with CUPS and cups-browsed running but not sharing local queues
  and not listening on localhost:631. It picks up the server's queues
  but when trying to shut down cups-browsed, cups-browsed hangs. The
  fixed package (cups-filters 1.8.3-2ubuntu3.2) solves this problem as
  its cups-browsed shuts down correctly.

  [Regression Potential]

  The patch is not small, but it does only small and simple changes, not
  replacing big bunches of code by other big bunches of code, so the
  regression potential is rather low. The changes in the patch are also
  all backported from the working upstream code of cups-filters.