Public bug reported:

This is a bug that seems to constantly re-surface across multiple
versions in Ubuntu, and I've seen it in other distributions as well.

Scenario:
  I want to enable 802.1x on a wired (*not* wireless), ethernet connection. I
enter my identity, my computer cert, my ca cert, my private key file, and my
password for my private key.

What doesn't work:
I confirm the password works by using openssl. NetworkManager does not save the
password. When I am asked to re-enter it, the connection fails. I look in
syslog, and it complains about the private key password being blank.

Workaround:
Open the file:

/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/[Your network connection]
Example:
$> vim /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/Wired\ connection\ 1

Add the field:
private-key-password=[your password]

Example:
private-key-password=UtterlyPointlessGloballyReadableStoredInPlaintextPassword

Save the file.

Attempt to re-connect. (and it worked for me).
Look in Network Manager UI, the password seems to now be stored.

Expected behavior:
Entering the password in the GUI works (i.e, it is saved to the file, or at
least used temporarily when connecting, either way - the latter would be more
secure)

Additionally, this whole thing is pretty lame, because Network Manager
restricts you to using an encrypted private key, but this is dumb,
because the password is then stored in a globally readable file in
plaintext. Or you can decide to not save a password, and enter every
time in a gui that fails to use the password you type in.

Package: network-manager 1.2.0-0ubuntu0.16.04.3
ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: Unity
Date: Mon Nov 21 17:52:44 2016
IfupdownConfig:
 # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
 auto lo
 iface lo inet loopback
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64 (20160719)
IpRoute:
 default via 10.0.50.1 dev eno1  proto static  metric 100
 10.0.50.0/23 dev eno1  proto kernel  scope link  src 10.0.50.207  metric 100
 10.0.254.32 via 10.0.50.1 dev eno1  proto dhcp  metric 100
 169.254.0.0/16 dev eno1  scope link  metric 1000
IwConfig:
 lo        no wireless extensions.

 eno1      no wireless extensions.
NetworkManager.state:
 [main]
 NetworkingEnabled=true
 WirelessEnabled=true
 WWANEnabled=true
RfKill:

SourcePackage: network-manager
nmcli-con:
 NAME                UUID                                  TYPE
TIMESTAMP   TIMESTAMP-REAL                   AUTOCONNECT  AUTOCONNECT-PRIORITY
READONLY  DBUS-PATH                                   ACTIVE  DEVICE  STATE
 ACTIVE-PATH
 Wired connection 1  fcbffec0-f9e4-4405-acfa-1cd80dec7362  802-3-ethernet
1479779500  Mon 21 Nov 2016 05:51:40 PM PST  yes          4294966297
no        /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Settings/0  yes     eno1    activated
 /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/0
nmcli-dev:
 DEVICE  TYPE      STATE      DBUS-PATH
CONNECTION          CON-UUID                              CON-PATH

 eno1    ethernet  connected  /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/0  Wired
connection 1  fcbffec0-f9e4-4405-acfa-1cd80dec7362
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/0
 lo      loopback  unmanaged  /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/1  --
nmcli-nm:
 RUNNING  VERSION  STATE      STARTUP  CONNECTIVITY  NETWORKING  WIFI-HW  WIFI
   WWAN-HW  WWAN
 running  1.2.0    connected  started  full          enabled     enabled
enabled  enabled  enabled

** Affects: network-manager (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug xenial

  Network Manager doesn't use 802.1x password entered in GUI

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu: