This isn't how VPNs are supposed to work. I understand that things get
incredibly complicated in this case, but they are complicated in the
first place.

Some things to watch out for:

 - IPv4 and IPv6 should both be configured the same way; you want either
both to be set to split-tunnelling ("Use this connection only for the
resources on its network" under Routes), or both not. Having the two use
a different setting will make things not work correctly (you will have
the wrong set of DNS nameservers configured in dnsmasq, even if you only
have IPv4 nameservers).

 - Adding separate nameservers and search domains in the UI may be
handled very differently than receiving nameservers from the VPN itself.

If you're seeing this bug, please *file your own* bug report in
launchpad, and make sure you add at least the *debug* logs from
NetworkManager as well as mentioning exactly how the IPv4/IPv6 and
underlying Routes dialogs are configured. To add debug logs for
NetworkManager for VPNs, you may run 'nmcli general logging level debug'
before reproducing the issue. The information will show up in
/var/log/syslog (which is the file you want to include, after reviewing
it to remove any sensitive information such as the exact IPs and domain
names, or making the bug private).

People should not mark their own bugs as duplicate of others and these
kinds of issues are complicated and easily confused as the same thing
when they might not be. There is also no point in reporting this on
Debian, as they likely don't have the same patches applied.

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)

  dns server priority broken

Status in NetworkManager-OpenVPN:
  New
Status in network-manager-vpnc:
  New
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  network-manager: 1.2.4-0ubuntu1

  Yakkety appears to have switched back from resolved to dnsmasq, but it seems
server priority/order is broken.

  Example: In split DNS setups, connecting to VPN will not cause us to
  query the DNS provided by the VPN first (or only), which should be the
  proper way to resolve names in that case.

  Say server.example.com in the public DNS resolves to a.a.a.a and in
  the private DNS resolves to b.b.b.b.

  Stuff would work from my normal internet-connection, but connection to
  VPN would cause stuff to misbehave. I expect to hit the b.b.b.b
  address but since my normal LAN DNS is being used first, I'm really
  hitting a.a.a.a.

  Please let me know how to proceed - Hopefully this can be fixed in
  time for release.