Martin,

I removed the line "dns=dnsmasq"
from the conf file.
Then upgraded to NM 1.4.2-2ubuntu4
Rebooted and checked that dns=dnsmasq was absent from the conf file. It was.
However, the result was still the same = no network.

Downgraded back to NM 1.4.2-2ubuntu3, got the network back and fine.
Noticed, that NM had created the line "dns=dnsmasq" back.

  dns=dnsmasq does not work any more

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  Network-manager will make my network connection immediately lost after
updating to the newest version 1.4.2-2ubuntu4.
  However, downgrading to the previous version 1.4.2-2ubuntu3 the network
connection is back again and fine. If, with this version, I remove the file
(link) /etc/resolv.conf the network is broken again. Rebooting solves this, as
network-manager creates a new resolv.conf file.

  The newest version 1.4.2-2ubuntu4 also creates the very same kind of
  file, but no network.

  I have the latest (Gnome-shell DE) updates installed and of course all
packages that network-manager depends on. But not the ones it only recommends
or suggests.
  Should I have resolvconf installed? I think not, as isc-dhcp-client only
suggests it.