I've just noticed that I have essentially the same problem after making
a new bug report at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libimobiledevice/+bug/1654833
which I've now marked as duplicate.

This bug affects both iOS 9.3.5 (iPad) and iOS 10.2 (iPhone) since
upgrading to Ubuntu 16.10 (64-bit) probably including a new version of
this libimobiledevice package (libimobiledevice6 version 1.2.0+dfsg-
3ubuntu1)

Attempting to implement the workaround suggested here I've got stuck at the
very first step:
The command "./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local/libimobiledevice" displayed this
error message:

configure: error: Package requirements (libusbmuxd >= 1.0.9) were not met:
No package 'libusbmuxd' found
Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you installed
software in a non-standard prefix.
Alternatively, you may set the environment variables libusbmuxd_CFLAGS and
libusbmuxd_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

I have the files "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libusbmuxd.so.4" (a symlink) and
"/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libusbmuxd.so.4.0.0" but I don't know how to make
them accessible by this script.
I also have the file "/usr/lib/pkg-config.multiarch" which includes
"x86_64-linux-gnu" so I guess pkg-config should know where to look for :-(

Packages, which is subscribed to libimobiledevice in Ubuntu.

  iOS device contents not displayed in Ubuntu

Status in gnutls28 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in libimobiledevice package in Ubuntu:

  Plug in iOS device, and it doesn't show the documents on it.

  Please package the recent fix in libimobiledevice:

  https://github.com/libimobiledevice/libimobiledevice/issues/327