@Xwarman: Please be aware that you disabled one of the major checks to
ensure a successful backup.

@all: I am wondering if this happens before or after the backup taking
place?

A more recent output of the file /tmp/deja-dup.log after running the
appropriate line below and replicating the problem might be helpful as
well. Especially because there seems to be another problem in the backup
of the original reporter. You may want to scrub the log of any
incriminating file names or details:

    DEJA_DUP_DEBUG=1 deja-dup --backup | tail -n 1000 > /tmp/deja-
dup.log

Packages, which is subscribed to duplicity in Ubuntu.

  'metadata' file not found when creating backup ("Could not restore
  ‘/home/user /.cache/deja-dup/metadata’: File not found in backup"

Status in Déjà Dup:
  Incomplete
Status in duplicity package in Ubuntu:

  Linux release: Ubuntu 13.04 64bit
  Kernel: 3.8.0-29-generic
  Python: 2.7.4
  Deja Dup: 26.0
  Duplicity: 0.6.21

  Hi. I've tried to do my monthly or so backup recently, but Deja Dup
  crashed after trying to backup a very large file (VM disk with Windows
  7, 50GB or so). I tried to do another one, this time excluding all my
  large VM's. However, now when trying to do a backup I'm getting the
  following error a few seconds after inputting my encryption password:

  Could not restore ‘/home/tom/.cache/deja-dup/metadata’: File not found
  in backup

  I've tried reinstalling both deja-dup and duplicity, purging
  duplicity, deleting deja-dup and duplicity from /home/tom/.cache,
  deleting the backup files on the external drive, deleting it's config
  as described here http://askubuntu.com/questions/53980/how-to-delete-
  all-the-settings-for-deja-dup. I know (well, I have some evidence
  supporting this) that the drive itself isn't faulty as I managed to
  backup my old laptop to the drive using duplicity and it worked fine
  (Fedora 19, deja dup 26.0 I think). I will upload the appropriate logs
  momentarily.