Everything seems normal to me, that is the same as a working device.
I noticed you had played a game, last suggestion is to run the game again and
set the volume there. In the past there had been issues where the volume
remained muted playing media if sound effects were muted during a game,
although that should no longer be the case. and the fact that the headphones
work probably rules that out.
Otherwise perhaps backup the user data and reflash to rule out hardware. Sorry
out of ideas.
@jim any thoughts?

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Jim Hodapp (jhodapp)

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu Touch: No sound on speakers but OK on headset

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  Since a couple of days ago I have lost all sound on the speakers of the phone
(no application plays any sound, no ringtones, notifications), but sounds can
be heard normally with a headset. Sound
  configuration looks OK, and restarting does not help.

  I tried to remove .config/pulse completely and restart, but no progress. I
attach the file
  ubuntu-phablet-stream-volumes.tdb
  which was there before removing the folder and restarting.

  BQ E5, OTA 14.

  Package: pulseaudio 1:6.0-0ubuntu9.25
  Uname: Linux 3.4.67 armv7l
  AlsaInfo: This script requires lspci. Please install it, and re-run this
script.
  ApportVersion: 2.17.2-0ubuntu1.3touch1
  Architecture: armhf
  AudioDevicesInUse: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'fuser'
  CurrentDmesg: Error: command ['dmesg'] failed with exit code 1: dmesg: read
kernel buffer failed: Operation not permitted