Thanks for your attention.

I did a SSO login and opened this issue web page (1643544).
Then did the command:

apport-collect 1643544
Package sane-backends not installed and no hook available, ignoring
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

A window pops up "no further information gathered" (see attachment)

$ sudo apt-get install sane-backends
says that the package cannot be found. I cannot find it in synaptic either. And
this page
(https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/1.0.25+git20150528-1ubuntu2)
 says, that it's for USB3 "or fast recent hardware" - which is not available at
my system.

So - what can I do now.

** Attachment added: "Bildschirmfoto von »2017-01-13 10-52-53«.jpg"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/1643544/+attachment/4803793/+files/Bildschirmfoto%20von%20%C2%BB2017-01-13%2010-52-53%C2%AB.jpg

Packages, which is subscribed to sane-backends in Ubuntu.

  HP Scanjet 7400c Scanner locks USB2 port

Status in sane-backends package in Ubuntu:

  When trying to scan with the hp7400c (avision backend), the scanner
  will stop in the middle of the page, no further commands on a USB
  mouse or keyboard are possible. xsane will throw a I/O device error.

  This happens on my desktop with ubuntu 16.10 (Kernel 4.8.0-27) and my laptop
(kernel 4.4.0-38)
  NO USB3 hardware is involved in my case, both machines have USB2-ports only,
lsmod does NOT show and xhci modules loaded.

  I tried the command
  SANE_DEBUG_AVISION=8 SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=5 scanimage > scanfehlerxx.txt

  and produced the files attached.

  The key statement might be:

   [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_read_bulk: trying to read 61054 bytes
    [sanei_usb] sanei_usb_read_bulk: read failed: No such device (it may have
been disconnected)
    [avision] read 0 bytes
    [avision] No data arrived.

  This error occurs as well with Fedora 24, but NOT with debian 8.6. So
  it may be related with the more recent kernels and their behaviour on
  the USB ports.