Had you updated your system that you can remember prior to this problem
occurring? If you were to boot 14.04 live media, does the problem exist
there? If you have Windows or another distro installed, does the problem
occur there?

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Sound not working anymore

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  Didn't do anything strange but the sound just stopped working for my
  headphones. Just like that.

  I have multiple soundcards. The one affected is CA0132 which is the
  built-in card of the motherboard. The other card isn't affected
  (CA0106) and is working fine with external speakers. I also tried with
  a plug and play usb soundcard (USB PnP Sound Device). also not
  affected and is working (as expected I guess).

  Tried restarting. Tried playing around with alsamixer and pavucontrol.
  Tried checking for updates and updating to latest. ...Didn't try doing
  a back-flip tho hehe XD

  Package: pulseaudio 1:4.0-0ubuntu11.1 [modified:
usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-internal-mic.conf]
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-107.154-generic 3.13.11-ckt39
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-107-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.23
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sun Jan 22 23:30:29 2017
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20140722.2)
  SourcePackage: pulseaudio
  dmi.bios.date: 11/21/2014
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: F4
  dmi.board.asset.tag: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.board.name: G1.Sniper Z87
  dmi.board.vendor: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
  dmi.board.version: x.x
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
  dmi.chassis.version: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvrF4:bd11/21/2014:svnGigabyteTechnologyCo.,Ltd.:pnG1.SniperZ87:pvrTobefilledbyO.E.M.:rvnGigabyteTechnologyCo.,Ltd.:rnG1.SniperZ87:rvrx.x:cvnGigabyteTechnologyCo.,Ltd.:ct3:cvrToBeFilledByO.E.M.:
  dmi.product.name: G1.Sniper Z87
  dmi.product.version: To be filled by O.E.M.
  dmi.sys.vendor: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.