My /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
are just as you stated.

** Attachment added: "interfaces"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/1658921/+attachment/4809299/+files/interfaces

  NetworkManager does not manage wired connection

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  NetworkManager does not manage my wired eth0 connection, no matter how
  I set /etc/network/interfaces or
  /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

  Using ubuntu 16.04, /etc/network/interfaces only managed lo, and
  [ifupdown] section of NetworkManager.conf had set managed=false.

  With these same settings, after upgrading to ubuntu 16.10, eth0
  appears as unmanaged in nm-applet.

  If I modify /etc/network/interfaces and add

  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet dhcp

  And set managed=true in NetworkManager.conf [ifupdown] section, eth0
  is still unmanaged despite it does get an IP from DHCP server.

  This is happening in my five computers (two laptops and three
  desktops).