Guy Taylor, thank you very much for your work on this issue.

My advice is to simply do as many others and ignore Christopher who is
very vocal but usually not so helpful.  You already did the necessary
work and went above and beyond what could be requested of you only to
have Christopher step in and ask even more and SILLY work from you.

I'll see if I can cook up a package with your patch included.
Unfortunately, someone made a poor choice and went with Debian
experimental packages for a number of releases so the situation for SANE
in Debian is currently anything but sane.

** Changed in: sane-backends (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Rolf Leggewie (r0lf)

Packages, which is subscribed to sane-backends in Ubuntu.

  Canon DR-F120 - IO Errors

Status in sane-backends:
  Unknown
Status in sane-backends package in Ubuntu:

  The Canon DR-F120 scanner is near completely broken with the current
  shipped version.

  This is fixed upstream via:

http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/sane/sane-backends.git/commit/?id=e6b6ad9d4847e86aed8be0837a19bfada881f52d