Hello Christian.

Regarding the original report: What else should Deja Dup do than telling
you about not sufficient space? It can not predict, which data is more
important for you!

Regarding comment no #2: You still need space in you temporary folder to
unpack the files. The fact, that this should be reported is handled by
bug report #974036 and should be discussed there.

Best Regards

Vej

** Changed in: deja-dup (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to deja-dup in Ubuntu.

  deja-dup failed restore process because of a big file which had to be
  restored on a  nearly full hd

Status in deja-dup package in Ubuntu:

  I tried to restore my deja-dup backup after a new install migrating
  from 14.04.x to 16.04.01. I choose to make a fresh install because
  need to encrypt data. Because of known bugs with encrypted swap I use
  the option to encrypte the user-directory.

  I had a partition with 150 GB of space and the backup is made with 7 GB free
space.
  On the end of the partition is a big file (ca. 20 GB, may be more).

  dejadup restored the files nearly in the order nautilus will show the files
in a tree view. So while the restore process it filled the hd with other data.
when it comes to the big file deja-dup used all the space  of the hd (ubuntu
shows a message there is less than 750 MB) and failed with the messages that
the hd had not enough space.
  After closing deja-dup "df -h" show 23 GB of free space for the partition.

  I tried to restore the directory with the big file first (choosing in
  nautilus context menu: "restore missing data…") and the restore
  process worked well.

  Thanks for all efforts and
  kindest regards

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release: 16.04

  $ apt-cache policy deja-dup
  deja-dup:
    Installiert: 34.2-0ubuntu1
    Installationskandidat: 34.2-0ubuntu1
    Versionstabelle:
   *** 34.2-0ubuntu1 500
          500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Package: deja-dup 34.2-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sat Oct 22 20:56:46 2016
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160719)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=de_DE
   PATH=(custom, no user)